What are urgent care services?
Urgent care centres treat patients for injuries and illnesses that require immediate attention, but are not life-threatening. People can be treated by an experienced nurse for a range of minor illnesses and injuries including cuts and bruises, stomach upsets, burns and strains. Find out more about urgent care centres.
Why are we doing this?
ELR CCG made a commitment to involve the public in helping to determine the location of the centre in the Blaby district area, which will be provided from an existing building. The CCG has worked through a number of potential options based on public feedback over recent months and is now seeking views on two potential sites before a final decision is made.
The plans are based on evidence of demand for a service in the area and were supported by local people when we sought the views of the public during the summer of 2018. We have carefully considered this feedback, the findings of our review in 2013 and 2014 and looked at how the current services are being used. We have identified that there is a large demand for services in the Blaby district area, with more than 1,600 patients a year travelling to other sites within East Leicestershire and Rutland for out-of-hours care. You can find out more about this work here.
The new centre will see services provided for patients at times when GP practices are closed – on weekday evenings from 6:30pm to 9pm and at weekends and on bank holidays from 9am to 7pm.
Patients will be able to walk-in to access healthcare, and appointments will be offered to those calling NHS 111 if their symptoms require it. Patients will also be able to pre-book weekday evening, weekend and bank holiday appointments via their GP practice.
The new centre will mean patients living in the district will be able to access out-of-hours services closer to home, reducing the need to travel. It will also help take pressure off other urgent care services.
How to share your views
You can also attend one of our events.
- Monday 05 November 2018, 10am-12pm at Countesthorpe Health Centre
- Wednesday 7 November, 10am-12pm at The Limes Medical Centre
- Thursday 8 November 2018, 3pm-6pm at Enderby Leisure Centre
- Monday 12 November 2018,10am-12pm at Hazelmere Medical Centre
- Wednesday 14 November, 8:30am-10:30am at Glenfield Surgery
- Saturday 17 November 2018, 10am-12pm at Blaby Library
- Monday 19 November 2018, 2pm-4pm at Glenfield Library
- Tuesday 20 November 2018, 9am-11am at Northfield Medical Centre
- Wednesday 21 November, 2pm-4pm at Braunstone Library
- Thursday 22 November, 10am-12pm at Enderby Medical Centre
- Friday 23 November, 2pm-4pm at Countesthorpe Health Centre
You can also email comments or questions or request this information in another language or format by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0116 295 3405.