East Leicestershire and Rutland CCG has a responsibility to ensure the safety and welfare of children and adults. In this section you can find out more information about safeguarding including who you can contact if you have any concerns about a child, young person or adult.

Children and Young People

What is abuse?

Abuse can happen to a child at any age, from pre-birth up to the age of 18yrs. It can happen in all walks of life; to children from any ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and to children with or without disabilities.

Abuse, harm or maltreatment can be deliberate or unintentional. It can happen by the way adults or other children and young people behave towards a child. It can also result from adults failing to provide proper care for the children they look after.

Children and young people can experience abuse at home, at school, in leisure activities, in medical centres or hospitals in fact anywhere. The abuse is usually caused by someone the child or young person knows and rarely by a stranger.

Who can I talk to if I have concerns?

If you wish to talk to someone about your concerns please ring the Social Care office covering the area where the child or young person lives:

  • Leicester City  – 0116 252 7004
  • Leicestershire – 0116 305 0005
  • Rutland – 01572 758407
  • Out of hours Emergency Duty Team – 0116 2551606

If a child or young person is in immediate danger please contact the police on 0116 2222222 or 999 in an emergency.

Where can I find out more?

Safeguarding procedures can be found on the Leicester City, Leicestershire and Rutland Local Safeguarding Children Board’s website here.


Living a life that is free from harm and abuse is a fundamental human right of every person and an essential requirement for health and safety.

Safeguarding adults is about the safety and wellbeing of all individuals, but providing additional measures for those least able to protect themselves from harm or abuse.

Abuse can be physical, psychological/emotional, sexual and sexual exploitation, financial, neglect, discriminatory and institutional.

Who can I talk to if I have concerns?

If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of an individual; and suspect abuse please contact and report your concern to any one of the following organisations:

  • Leicester City Council (please ask for the ‘Single Point of Contact’ or SPOC) – 0116 2527004
  • Leicestershire County Council – 0116 3050004
  • Rutland Council- (SPOC) – 01572 722 577

The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Safeguarding Adults Procedures can be found here:

Further Information:

You can read our Safeguarding Policy below.


My Adult – Still My Child is a website aimed at those new to making Best Interest Decisions and especially those caring for a young person in transition to adult services.